Sabudana Khichdi is one of the most popular Indian vrat (fast) festival recipe such as Navratri, Shivratri, Ram Navami, Janmashtami, Ekadashi, etc . Sabudana Khir, Sabudana Tikki(Tapioca Cutlet) is also consumed in Vrat (fast). Sabudana Khichdi is also known as Farali Khichdi. It is a very delicious fasting food. It is consumed in a breakfast as well.
It is made from Tapioca Pearl which is known as Sabudana or Sagoball in India. Sabudana Khichdi is a great combination of Sabudana (Tapioca Pearl), potatoes and peanuts.
Sabudana is very good for health also. There are two types of sabudana – small and large. In this recipe, small sabudana is used; however large sabudana can also be used.
Sabudana Khichdi is a very quick and easy recipe, provided you have sabudana which are already soaked for 3 to 4 hours, boiled potatoes and coarsely grounded peanuts, then Sabudana Khichdi can be prepared in just 5 minutes. Some people are not preferring to use salt in vrat(fast), so they can use rock salt (Sendha Namak). Also few more people do not prefer to use turmeric powder, so they can avoid here to use turmeric powder and red chili powder. In stead of those, they can add black pepper powder as well. If turmeric powder and red chili powder are not used, this khichdi gives white color which also looks good.
If you want to know how to make Sabudana Khichdi, here is a non sticky step by step Gujarati Style Sabudana Khichdi Recipe.
Sabudana (Tapioca Pearl) – ½ cup
Potatoes – 2 no. boiled
Peanuts – ½ cup
Oil – 3 tbs
Cumin – 1 ts
Curry leaves- 6-8 chopped
Green chili – 1 no. chopped
Red chili powder – 1 ts
Turmeric powder – ¼ ts
Salt – to taste
Lemon juice – 2 tbs
Sugar – ½ tbs
Coriander – for garnishing
Fried green chili – 2 for garnishing
1. Soak sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) for 3-4 hours or depending type of sabudana, you may increase or decrease the time.
2. Peel boiled potatoes and chopped in small pieces.
3. Coarsely ground peanuts and keep them aside.
4. Heat pan, add oil.
5. Add cumin in oil.
6. When cumin starts crackling, at that time add curry leaves and green chili.
7. Sauté for a minute.
8. Add sabudana, coarsely grounded peanuts, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice, sugar and mix well.
9. No need to cook more.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and fried green chili.
11. SABUDANA KHICHDI is ready to serve.
Serve hot with curd. It gives such a delicious taste.
You May Also Like:
|Sev Tamatar ki Sabji|
Sev Tameta nu Shaak
|Vegetable Italian |
Cheese Pasta Salad